Thursday, August 13, 2009

Socal-piggies

Great get-together at the socal-piggies meeting today!

Cool presentation on some tools Dan Stromberg put together (pnetcat, looper), and a nice demo of TokyoCabinet+TokyoTyrant+pytyrant+restish by Grig Gheorghiu, following a retailed presentation, also by Grig, and discussion about REST for those in the meeting who had not been exposed to it.

There was a discussion on whether is was ever appropriate to expose (db) transactions as REST URI. Grig Spoke highly of RESTFul Web Services by Leonard Richardson and Sam Ruby.

I passed around some back issues of Python Magazine encouraging people to take the ones they would find interesting, and about half were taken. I'll bring them to the next meeting and hopefully they will all be gone!

I also promised Grig that I would do a socal-piggies presentation on the backend for grabatask.com that I am building. It involves an API in FAPWS with pytyrant that stores and retrieved data from TokyoCabinet throught TokyoTyrant.

I personally liked the discussion on how to use TokyoCabinet tables from within python. Great stuff!

No comments: