Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My message to Brad Sherman, my US House Representative.

Dear Brad,

I would like to voice my deep concern over the Israeli government's handling of their offensive against Hamas in the Gaza territory. I am deeply concerned that Israel is not doing what it should to protect civilians in Gaza, specifically using weapons such as white phosphorus on civilian areas, not allowing sufficient humanitarian aid such as water, food and medical supplies, as well as not allowing Red Cross/Red Crescent personnel access to injured civilians, and not allowing Egyptian ambulances into the Gaza territory to evacuate injured civilians to hospitals in Egypt that have the capacity to treat the injured and have announced their readiness to do so immediately.

I do agree that Israel has a right to defend itself, and that the Hamas group is a legitimate military target because of their daily rocket fire on Israeli territory.

I do not agree, however, that this attack on Gaza grants them "carte blanche" to conduct a punitive campaign on Gaza civilians, as indeed their military tactics, as well as media and humanitarian blockade of Gaza looks like in my eyes.

I would like you to work on my behalf to place pressure on Israel to allow full humanitarian and media access to Gaza, as well as restrict their use of weaponry that according to the international community should not be used in heavily populated areas.

I do not know how much you can do, but I urge you to do as much as you can.

Please let me know what I can personally do to help.

Very sincerely,


Christopher Mahan

No comments: