Sunday, May 15, 2005

Support for the support

for Emma: I have a regular gig at a fortune 500, and I do consulting for a couple of my ex employers, support mostly, but some new development work. I got a call today (sunday) at 6 pm about the restaurant owner (who is not a computer guy) unable to update his menu because macromedia does not update. Took me 30 minutes of calling before I found out that the password on the box at the host he.net (great host btw) had been reset in january when another guy (a friend of the restaurant owner) called to change payment methods to another credit card. So I got the cc last 4, called support again, had the password emailed, ssh'ed in the account, changed it again, and modified the prices on the menu, called the restaurant owner and told him so, all in one hour. Whew. I can tell you, when the phone rings, you never know what you're gonna get.
So Emma, remember that when things break, as far as the Sun Customer is concerned, you ARE Sun. And the way you handle that emergency is worth a lot more to the customer than the latest sun.com redesign. Finally, get a book or two on management. You can express yourself well enough, you'd do well in it. Plan on tackling bigger projects soon.

No comments: